We can see Jupiter without a telescope. It isn’t close to Earth, but it is huge. This is the 5th planet out from the Sun. It is 2.5 times bigger than all other planets in our solar system, combined. Now you can understand why we can see Jupiter with a naked eye. It is also known as ‘’gas giant’’, because it is made mostly of gases.
1. The mass of Jupiter is 1,898,130,000,000,000,000 billion kg. This means that it is 317.83 times heavier than earth.
2. The surface temperature is -108°C, so it is very cold there.
3. You may believe that we discovered Jupiter a century ago. Actually, it was discovered in 7th or 8th century BC.
4. Jupiter is a 4th brightest object in our solar system. Only the Sun, Moon and Venus re brighter than Jupiter.
5. This planet has the shortest day of all other planets. It turns on every 9 hours and 55 minutes.
6. Jupiter needs 11.8 Earth years to orbit the Sun. From our view, Jupiter moves very slowly. It needs months to move between constellations.
7. Zones and cloud belts make the upper atmosphere of Jupiter. They are made from sulfur, ammonia crystals and their mixtures. This means that Jupiter has unique cloud features.
8. The Great Red Spot on Jupiter is a storm. In fact, it is a huge storm that has been active for 350 years. 3 Earths can fit in this ‘’red spot’’.
9. The Jupiter’s core is made from metal, ice and rocks.
10. Ganymede is a Jupiter’s moon. It is the biggest moon in the Solar System.
11. 8 spacecrafts have visited this planet.