Finland is one of the most interesting countries in Europe. But, it isn’t visited a lot. This means that architecture, laws and many other things are unknown and unique about this country. Maybe the best known thing about Finland is Nokia. This company was in Finland. Luckily, there are many more, interesting facts.
1. People usually think that Finland is a part of Scandinavia, but it isn’t. Finland is a part of Fennoscandia.
2. People in Finland love saunas. There are more of them than cars in this country.
3. After the World War I, Finland, Poland, Estonia and Lithuania emerged as independent countries.
4. Slot machines in Finland are monopolized by an organization that gives all profit to charity.
5. Wife carrying is a sport in Finland. The winner gets the amount of beer that has the same weight as his wife.
6. A golf course is located on the border between Sweden and Finland. Half of the holes are in Finland and the other half is in Sweden.
7. In Finland, 100% of glass bottles are recycled. Also, 9 of 10 plastic bottles are recycled.
8. Citizens with UK, Sweden and Finland’s passport can travel in most countries without a visa.
9. When someone earns PH.D in Finland, he gets top hat and a sword.
10. Declawing cats is illegal in Finland and several more countries. However, this is allowed in some states in the United States.
11. The internet access is a legal right in Finland.
12. Ikea names chairs and tables after certain places in Finland. They also name sofas and bookshelves after places in Sweden.