Cockroaches are pests. We all know this. It is hard to eliminate them from your home and when you do, they just come back. This is possible because they are very resistant to almost everything we can throw at them. They are interesting creatures with a long history. Also, they are well researched, so we know a lot about them. Luckily, most of the facts we know about them are interesting.
1. Headless cockroaches can live several days. They don’t die because they don’t have the head, they die from starvation.
2. Cockroaches have their neighborhoods.
3. Cockroaches get ill and sad if they are alone for too long.
4. A newly found cockroach species, in the United States, can survive freezing temperatures.
5. We call a group of cockroaches an intrusion.
6. Cockroaches raised in space, are stronger and faster than those on the earth.
7. They shed their skin.
8. Cockroaches are old. But, they appeared 120 million years before dinosaurs.
9. Cockroaches fart a lot. In fact, they are one of the fartiest species in the world.
10. Cockroaches can make decisions. When 50 of them, can choose between 3 shelters, that can provide space for 40 cockroaches, they will split into 2 groups and use two shelters.
11. Cockroaches cannot form new memories in the morning.
12. Cockroaches eat everything. They can eat soap, glue and ordinary food. Some species can live up to 6 weeks without a meal.
13. Cockroaches are thigmotropic. This means they like to be touched.
14. Cockroaches get vitamins from bacteria. But this bacteria lives in their bodies.